The objective of this book is to take you to a whirlwind tour of the Raspberry Pi, and introduce you to everything that is great about it.
This book is written as a project guide. By working towards completing this project, you will become familiar with the various components that make up the web development stack: the operating system, the hardware (including the GPIOs
), the application server
, web server
, database server
, and the Python programming language.
You will also become familiar with Cloud services that you will integrate into your Raspberry Pi-powered web application.
You application will take sensor data and make them available to the user via a web interface that is constructed based on jQuery
You will need a Raspberry Pi, a DHT22 sensor, a button, an LED, a few resistors and a breadboard. If you wish to setup wirelessnet
working on your Raspberry Pi, you will also need a USB Wifi dongle.
To make the most from this course, you should be familiar with basic programming and be comfortable with the command line.
This is what you will learn:
* Setup the minimal Raspbian operating system to the RPi.
* Install the a Python virtual environment.
* Install and use Flask, a Python-based web micro-framework
* Install and use uWSGI as the application server
* Install and use Nginx light-weight web server
* Use the RPi GPIOs
as digital input and outputs
* Use a DHT22 humidity and temperature sensor
* Install and use the SQL
* Use the Google
Chart API to create visual representations of the sensor data
* Use JQuery
to add interactivity to web pages
* Use Descriptionly for graphical analysis of sensor data
* Install and configure a USB Wifi adaptor for your RPi
To complete the project, you will need these materials:
* A Raspberry Pi, any version
* A Windows
, Mac or Linux
* A DHT11 or DHT22 sensor
* An 5mm LED
* A breadboard and jumper wires
* Access to the Internet
* A USB Wifi dongle, if available